Sunday, August 8, 2010

Episode 29- I tried to be lazy...

~Welcome, Intro, Thank yous
~Sponsors/ Contests:
 Check out last week's shownotes, there are a LOT!
~ Knitting/ Spinning:
I've got 5 repeats of chart B on Brandywine, and I still love it!  I've also finished the first top down toe up sock and I'm almost done with the foot of the second one!  I also started a new pair for Aaron, using some JoAnn Sensations Bamboo and Ewe yarn.  This ball seems a little slubby and has some weird bits of unspun sections that I am not a big fan of.  Hopefully it was just a little at the beginning of the ball...  I've worked a little on spinning that cormo, but not much on that front.
~Free Entertainment:
I'm still listening to the Quarter Share series by Nathan Lowell. (See last 2 or 3 episode notes) I've finished all but the final book, and I'm 2/3 through that one!  There is also a spin off type book from the same universe but about a different character that is queued up on my ipod for the next one!
~Garden Update:
We harvested a ton of stuff and made some AMAZING veggie lasagna from our garden and CSA this week!  I'm quite sure I've gained 15 pounds!
~ Sales!
   -Hairball Yarn is offering free shipping in the US!
   - WhitKnits is offering 15% off all their sock yarns and summer yarns during the month of August!
   -Woot is a website that highlights a deal every day!  Sometimes there are useless deals but sometimes the deals are really quite amazing!
~Tip of the Week:
Take advantage of free things!  Free isn't always a scam, sometimes its an advertisement, but you can also request free samples of products through their websites, take advantage of free trials of things like magazine and movie subscriptions (like Netflix, the best $9 a month I spend) and loads of other things!  Be creative!
~ How I Saved the Week:  Aaron really likes these sandwiches they make at our local grocery store, but one sandwich is about $7, so instead I decided we will make our own!  I made some delicious foccacia bread and we made up yummy sandwiches!  The bread recipe is from the Williams Sonoma Bread Cookbook. Its a recipe for Onion Foccacia, but instead of onion I use 3-4 cloves of pressed garlic and about a teaspoon of fresh chopped rosemary!  So yummy!
~ Worth It:
Knit Ponchos, Wraps and Scarves by Jane Davis
Retails at $21.99, 128 pages, 44 patterns
Pros:
-Teaches a lot of techniques: lace, cables, beads, fringes
- Lots of yarn options: says "use x amount of yardage in sport weight yarn of x fiber content" instead of specific yarn.  Gives readers permission to choose their own yarn a little easier.
- Beautiful color photos of every project
- Full range of skill levels
-Instructions are easy to follow
- Patterns are charted and written out line by line
- Diagrams used to teach techniques are easy to see and follow
Cons:
- Some patterns use really crazy novelty yarns which makes the design hard to see
- A lot of the patterns use Super Bulky yarn, which isn't my style.  Nothing wrong with it, just not for me
Overall: Worth it!!
~Contact Info
Email Me!
Ravelry: Roue
Twitter: Roue0824
Please leave a review on iTunes or click that lovely button designed by Kristine below!














No comments:

Post a Comment